Sitelinks (from Google Help Center)
Latest Update (Feb 2013) –
Google: as of this week, the character limit that we support in Sitelinks creation has now changed from 35 to 25 characters. Some background: long sitelinks don’t work as well as shorter ones, not only in terms of CTR, but also regarding rendering on mobile.
– New Sitelinks created through AWFE will support only the new 25 character limit max. as of today
– Legacy Sitelinks upgraded to Enhanced Campaigns will not be subject to change/disapproval on upgrade, if they exceed the 25 character limit
Former Update (Aug 2012) –
Keep in mind that your ads won’t always show sitelinks. Also, when your ads show sitelinks, the format that appears could vary.
Google consider various factors when determining what types of sitelinks they’ll display with your ad, and whether to display sitelinks at all. These factors include the following reasons:
- Campaign ad’s Quality Score.
- The position of your ad on Google search result pages.
- The landing page of your ads and sitelinks.
- Other ad extensions that are enabled in your campaign.
- The search term used by a potential customer.
- The relevance of other ads on the page.
- For enhanced sitelinks, the relevance of your other ads to your sitelinks.
The following best practices will help increase your chances of showing sitelinks:
- Ad should have one of the top positions above Google search results.
- Ad should have a very high Quality Score.
- Sitelink URLs must direct customers to pages that are relevant to your product or service.